Monday, June 28, 2010

Newest Addition to My Collection

1834 billhead for Lumsden & Elsmie teas dealers and grocers, wine, spirit and fruit merchants of 95 Union Street Aberdeen Scotland. Double scrolls which list more products the firm sells: pickles, fish, sauces, spiceries, wax and sperm candles, curious old brandy, French liqueurs, segars, and fancy snuffs.


Wonderful center engraving of a harbor scene. Two ships sit in the foreground, one a large merchant ship and a much smaller boat. Background shows spires, a lighthouse and other buildings. Engraved by S. Leith.



Items purchased by Alex Cochrane, Esq. were 1 dozen fine port and 1 dozen London Brown Stout. There is also a handwritten note that the “bottles to be returned.”



In Pigot & Co.’s National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1837, John Lumsden located at 95 Union Street is listed as a grocer, wine & spirit merchant and ship owner.



William Elsmie is listed as a grocer and tea dealer at 189 Gallowgate.



LEITH, Samuel lithographic printer Banff and Edinburgh
[believed to be Low Street] Banff 1830-34
Samuel Leith & John Smith 30 Hanover Street, Edinburgh 1835-39
Samuel Leith 9 South St Andrew Street 1840-55
printseller 65 Princes Street 1846-47
Received award from Highland Society of London for quality of lithographed work in 1835. The partnership with John Smith, formerly of J. & W. Smith broke up in 1840, the business being continued by Smith. Leith brought Friedrich Schenck, artist and lithographer and W. Wahler from Germany and set up a new business. A year before his death in 1857, he retired and started up a print-selling business in Princes Street. The National Library of Scotland has Catalogue of the interesting collection of pictures and engravings of the late Mr Samuel Leith which will be sold by auction by Mr T. Nisbet 13 February 1858.




Sunday, June 6, 2010

Calvert Litho billheads

Thomas Calvert was born to well-to-do parents in Yorkshire England on February 10, 1828, and was educated at Scarborough grammar school. At the age of 19 he entered the employ of George Hudson, the railway king of London. After one year with Hudson he accepted a position at a bank. In 1849 he came to the U.S. locating in Philadelphia and worked for the Pennsylvania Central Railway Co. While working for the railway, he bought an interest in George Cook & Co., engravers and color printers. Due to health concerns, his physician recommended he move to Minnesota, selling his interest in the firm. At Minnesota, he worked in the lumber business from 1853 to 1858. In 1858, he lost nearly everything he had – chiefly lumber and logs. In 1859, his health having improved, he moved back east and settled in Buffalo where he worked for Sage & Co.

In the early 1860s, Calvert moved to Detroit Michigan and entered a partnership with John Gibson, a lithographer and they carried on business under the name John Gibson & Co. In 1864, Calvert purchased Gibson’s interest in the firm and operated under the name Calvert & Co. His business was successful and in 1867, he incorporated it as the Calvert Lithographing & Engraving Company, with himself, Claude B. Candler and Charles Calvert (Thomas’ son) as officers. The firm had a capital stock of $40,000.

In March 1897, the corporation expired and its property and assets were transferred to the Calvert Lithographing Company. The new firm maintained officers in San Francisco, Chicago and St. Louis, as well as its main office in Detroit. Calvert died on February 8, 1900. Candler became the firm’s president. Soon after Thomas’ death, his son Charles retired from the business and thus ended the family’s involvement in the company.

Under Candler, the firm flourished. In 1950, the firm was sold to a group of Chicago investors. In 1970, the firm was absorbed by a the Canadian printing company Lawson & Jones.



Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tennis Billheads and 1 letterhead

In honor of the French Open, here are a view examples of billheads with tennis themes. For you tennis lovers out there - can you believe Federer lost?! Enjoy the billheads!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Billhead of the Month: F.F. Adams Tobacco Co.

The firm’s history can be traced back to Charles Athearn of Buffalo who established the Chas. Athearn & Co. in 1847 which was located at 259 East Water Street. Cyrus Adams was the manager of a little store located at 420 East Water Street. Athearn never came to Milwaukee and on his death in 1854 his firm was sold to Adams which continued the business under the name C. Adams & Co. until 1860 when Francis F. Adams purchased his brother Cyrus’ interest (Cyrus went to California) and continued the business under the name F.F. Adams & Co. Francis was described as a sharp, keen business man. In 1884, the business was averaging $1 million a year. F.F. Adams’s tobacco factory was called the Badger State Tobacco Works. The favorite brands manufactured by the firm were, in smoking tobacco: Peerless, Excelsior, Standard, Dexter, and Old Tom; and in chewing tobacco, Aromatic, Moss Rose, Pride of the West, and Ambrosia. At some point Henry Avers becomes involved with the firm and the firm name changed to he F.F. Adams Tobacco Co.

In 1902, the Continental Tobacco Company acquired the entire capital stock of FF Adams for $2,205,090. That would be approximately $57 million in today’s value.
This is an advertisement for the firm which shows the factory.

This billhead has the FF Adams & Co. firm name with the successor name FF Adams Tobacco Company. Below the billhead is just for FF Adams Tobacco Co. Both printed by J. Knauber of Milwaukee.